Thursday, October 2, 2008

Sentimental Thoughts

I sold our recliner of 18+ years last night. What I didn't know what that my son had sentimental attachments to the chair. "After all," he said, "we've had that chair since before I was born. I always thought I'd take it with me when I leave." Who knew? And then I remembered all the hours I'd spent rocking him in that chair when he was smaller than 6 feet tall. Momentarily, I wanted to tell the man no, I've changed my mind. But then we don't have room for the chair, and he has no chairs as Ike delivered four feet of water through his house. So the recliner has a new home. And I know something more about my son.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how things can take on such sentimental value. It practically took an act of Congress to get my husband to part with the couch he owned when we married, even though I hated it from Day One. I think it was the first couch he had bought by himself. I remember having a pair of Levi's jeans that I had to FORCE myself to throw away in college; they were in shreds but they had been through a lot with me. Other precious items, with no real value but plenty of memories, include a sweatshirt given to me by my first love, the TV I owned when I moved everything in my Toyota Corolla to Albuquerque, and a bolero jacket purchased at Lord & Taylor 20 years ago that I have yet to wear. I can't seem to give these things up. But somehow, if they disappeared tomorrow, I know it would be okay.